If you spend any time on the roads of Colorado — and anywhere in the country for that matter — you know one thing to be true: Commercial vehicles are everywhere.
While sharing the road with others is a way of life, it doesn’t mean it’s always safe. There are times when truckers and trucking companies make mistakes, thus increasing the possibility of an accident.
As a driver, you need to do whatever you can to avoid trouble on the road. This means keeping a close eye on other drivers, such as truckers.
Here are some of the most common causes of truck accidents:
- Inadequate training associated with defensive driving and technique
- A system of compensation that encourages truckers to break the law, such as by driving too fast or not getting enough rest
- Drowsy driving
- Distracted driving, which can include texting and talking on a cellphone
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Reckless driving, such as speeding, neglecting to signal and aggressive behavior
These are not the only causes of truck accidents, but they are the most common.
There are things you can do to prevent trouble on the road, such as never driving in a truck’s blind spot. This is easier said than done, but it’s a habit you should get into.
If you are part of a truck accident, move to safety (if you have the means to do so) and call 911. There is always a chance that you are dealing with a serious injury, so you want to receive medical assistance as quickly as possible. This can be the difference between making a full recovery and dealing with an injury for the rest of your life.
Once your health is in order, learn more about the cause of the accident and who was at fault. This will lead you toward your legal rights, which gives you a better idea of the next steps to take.